Monday, October 28, 2019

Moms recipes 2 it is all about turkey (or chicken) leftovers

My Mom's Turkey Soup 

My Turkey Soup

Let's warm up with some homemade chicken or turkey soup. Most of this recipe is just as my Mom made it, with a little tweaking by me over the years. My Mom used this as a frugal way to create another meal from the remains of a turkey or large chicken from the night before, and I usually do this as well. So that is how I am going to write the recipe. This way you basically make your stock at the same time. You'll see. ~ Lisa

Ingredients:
* Leftover baked chicken (whole carcass) or turkey
* 1 can of crushed tomatoes
* 1 1/2 cup macaroni or rotini
* 1 cup cooked rice
* Medium onion, diced
* Tbsp dried parsley flakes
* Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large stockpot put your chicken carcass and any leftover chicken meat. I buy a bigger chicken than usual so I have plenty of leftovers. Fill with water so that the carcass is submerged. Boil well for about an hour. Remove the carcass and bones from what is now a wonderful stock and leave the chicken stock on the stove. If you are really picky, you could strain the stock, I don't though. I hate to dirty more pots than necessary and have always been able to fish out everything.

Peel all the chicken off the bones (realistically it should fall off the bones) and cut up small, or shred, if desired. Add the meat and the stock back to the pot along with a regular can of crushed tomatoes. Bring it back to a boil and then add the macaroni, rice, and onion. Sprinkle in the parsley flakes, and salt and pepper. Let this cook until the macaroni is tender and the rice is done.

Remove from heat and serve with crusty bread to your ravenous family (and they will be ravenous as this really makes the house smell like dinner). You can put any remainder in containers. This recipe freezes well, you will need to add a bit of water when reheating though

Thanksgiving Turkey Pot Pie Leftovers Recipe 

My favorite Thanksgiving turkey pot pie leftovers recipe basically uses the whole Thanksgiving dinner as a pot pie. I made this one up myself, it seems similar to what some people on the net are talking about, I know we love it.

Leftover turkey
Leftover stuffing
Leftover vegetables
Leftover cranberry sauce - optional
Leftover gravy - very important
2 pie crusts

Simmer all leftovers in the pan for a few minutes and then fill one pie crust. Cover with the second crust and "fork down" or crimp edges, poke center holes with a fork or knife. I always brush a bit of milk on top for a nice golden crust.
Bake for 25-30 minutes at temp directed on pie crust instructions, until crust has browned.
Let set 5-8 minutes before slicing to serve.

Turkey Stew Recipe 


My Turkey Stew Recipe

Some sliced carrots (could also use green beans and corn)
Some diced potatoes
1 Onion (diced)
Leftover turkey
Salt pepper for seasoned flavor

I boil the bones and carcass and then save the water (now stock), collect turkey from bones and put the turkey back into the pot with carrots potatoes and onions all cut up. Simmer for 25 minutes, and then thicken as you wish with flour. This is basically the same idea as beef stew, I did not give how many potatoes or carrots because it is up to you to decide how much based on what you have leftover for turkey and how much stock you created, and how much you wish to make. You can add extra water to the stock, up to a few cups.

I make dumplings from the Bisquick box recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

February 14 and 16th what's a family day

My hubby gave me a special Valentine's Day gift, I love sloths. But this is not just a Valentine, but also a Family Day gift...